Thursday 17 March 2016

Creative Cart Blanche - #2 Triple trouble


So I came across the Creative Carte Blanche challenge from Hels Sheriden's blog. Doing mixed media work is something that interests me but which I've never really tried or had the confidence to try. I decided I was going to have a bash as the current challenge is to include corrugated, lace and metal. I had an initial concept working with a dressmakers form, but we all knows what happens to the best laid plans...
As I've mentioned I had a blast at the InkBuds weekender and so decided that I would crack on with this week. Well, whilst I was recovering on the Monday, Nigel the DPD driver turned up with a set of stamps and mdf shapes from creative expressions. To quote Gru from Despicable Me "Lightbulb!"
So, I had a blank plaque from Joanna Sheen and I added layers of blue and purple chalk paint as a base. I added some cardboard to create the cliffs. I layered up strips of tin foil to create the sea and tore up some lace to add to the sea texture. I ripped up some tulle to add texture to the sky. I used a mix of cosmic shimmer glue and glossy accents to stick it all down. Once dry I painted the sea with more purple, blue white and black chalk paint and the cliffs with brown, black and white chalk paint.
I stuck washi tape, paper and ribbon to the mdf boat and seagull to add some texture and then after a white base coat built up layers of chalk paint and dry brushed on some black to add dimension. I used   cut n dry foam with the chalk paint to add in the sky and some indigo blue metallic white to form the clouds, hopefully the picture below shows the subtle metallic.

I decide to add some white pearl cosmic shimmer PVA to the waves. Unfortunately the nozzle had got clogged and so I removed it, unclogged it and squeezed. Of course the nozzle came off and the PVA covered my glass mat! So I dunked my finger in it and dabbed it on that way. I also had some silver pearl PVA which I unclogged carefully this time and applied that to the waves. It still needed something so I decided to throw on three things to stick to the PVA and a bit more cosmic shimmer glue that I'd added. I scattered glamour dust, cosmic shimmer crystal chips glitter jewels and clear micro beads to give the sea more life, hopefully some of the sparkle shows up below.

I glued on the boat and seagull and added some twine from the kitchen to hang it up after it dries and stops shedding micro beads.I'm not saying it will win any prizes in the art world, but I had great fun playing!
A final view to show you the dimension.

14 comments:

  1. I love this Cara. There's going to be no stopping you is there now that you've been on a workshop with Hels. I've also been doing something different today but it's under wraps just now. Isn't it fun being a crafting junkie. Yours is a great piece of work.I love that sea. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great texture and brilliant use of the corrugated cardboard, love the finished piece X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Cara! What a fabulous scene! Love the beautiful ocean! All the textures look fab! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gorgeous scene, Cara. Love all the different textures. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cara, you clever thing, you! Tin foil + lace do not equal water; except when YOU do it! What a fun piece and I think you had fun creating it. You're just buzzing with creativity; hanging out with Hels will do that to you! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow that's absolutely amazing!! What a brilliant finished project!!
    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! This is so impressive! The strip of cardboard is just the coolest here and all that yummy texture - AMAZING! One fabulous project. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome Cara, so glad that you showed better photos, so we could see all the details. I am going on a mixed media retreat in May, to help boost my confidence. Have a great weekend and thanks for all your lovely comments this week. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! What a creative interpretation of our art adventure. I totally LOVE it! It's so dimensional and I love how you've joined all of the required elements together into such a beautiful nautical scene. So different! I love it! Thanks for sharing with us at Creative Carte Blanche.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh W-O-W, this is a real work of art Cara! The texture of your ocean is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cara this is beautiful! What beautiful dimension you have achieved! Love it....Thank you for sharing and joining in at CCB!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Cara! All I can say is that has to be one of the most creative ways to use lace by incorporating it in the water with tin foil! I never would have thought of that. Fabulous composition - thanks so much for joining us at Creative Carte Blanche!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun is this piece! And such a clever use of the three materials. I'm so happy you dove in to mixed media and shared with us. What an inspiration you are to others. Thanks for joining us at Creative Carte Blanche.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cara, this is just incredible! What a brilliant creative vision you have-- the composition is perfect and your use of the 3 challenge components is so clever . Thanks for sharing this wonderful work of art with us at Creative Carte Blanche!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please ignore any requests to prove you're not a robot and just press publish. Cara x